Celebrate National Picnic Week with Mamoosh Bakery's Natural Pitta Bread and Summer Dips
National Picnic Week is an annual event in the UK held in the last week of June, celebrating everything there is to love about the great tradition of picnicking. This year, the event will take place from Saturday to Sunday, 17-25 June 2023. While picnicking might seem like a quintessentially British pastime, its origins can be traced back to France in the early 17th century. Here, we'll take a closer look at the history of picnics and how you can create the perfect summer mezze board using Mamoosh Bakery's natural pitta breads.
The Origin of Picnics
The word "picnic" is thought to have derived from the French 'piquer' (to pick, peck, or nab) and 'niquer' (something of little importance). The term "pique-nique" was first used in 1692 and described a gathering of people in a restaurant, with each bringing their own wine. The concept was that everyone contributed to the event. It was initially an indoor meal, but it later became an outdoor affair popularized by the British in the 19th century.
Throughout history, the practice of friends meeting for a meal to which everyone contributes a dish or bottle has been common. However, the attachment and association of the word "picnic" or "pique-nique" seem to have come somewhat later.
Picnicking became popular in France after the French Revolution, when it became possible for ordinary people to visit and mingle in the country's royal parks. In the 18th and 19th centuries, picnics were elaborate social events with complex meals and fancy drinks that sometimes took days to prepare. The French aristocratic event soon spread to Britain, where picnics gained popularity among the middle and upper classes.
Today, picnics are enjoyed in various settings and occasions, from casual gatherings in parks to more formal events such as open-air theater performances.
Family picnics on the beach or in the countryside, are an ideal way to meet and enjoy good food and make memories that live on forever.
The Perfect Summer Picnic with Mamoosh Bakery's Natural Pitta Breads
A mezze board is a delightful way to enjoy a variety of small, savoury dishes, ideal for sharing with friends and family during National Picnic Week. When paired with Mamoosh Bakery's natural pitta breads, a mezze board becomes a delicious and wholesome feast.
Artisan Pittas – Perfect for Picnics
Mamoosh Bakery prides itself on using traditional baking methods to create their delicious pitta breads. Made from a unique flour blend and all-natural ingredients, Mamoosh pittas are soft, fluffy, and perfect for holding a variety of fillings. Available in both white and wholemeal varieties, these pitta breads are a healthier and tastier alternative to traditional bread and their pockets are perfect for fillings!
Ideas for Pitta fillings and sandwiches
Here are 8 delicious ideas for fillings for pitta bread sandwiches that are perfect for summer picnics:
- Hummus and roasted vegetables: Spread a generous amount of hummus inside the pitta bread and fill it with roasted vegetables like eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, and onions.
- Falafel and green tahini: Stuff the pitta bread with crispy falafel balls and top it with green tahini or tahini dip with schoug and salad.
- Grilled chicken and avocado: Marinate chicken in your favourite spices and grill until cooked through. Slice the chicken and add it to the pitta bread with sliced avocado and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Caprese salad: Fill the pitta bread with sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil leaves. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- BLT: Cook crispy bacon and layer it with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise inside the pitta bread.
- Egg salad: Mix hard-boiled eggs with mayonnaise, mustard, and chopped chives. Fill the pitta bread with the egg salad and some greens like arugula or spinach.
- Salmon: poached salmon with tzatziki, with slices of red onion and gherkins or a fresh salad.
- Smoked salmon and cream cheese: Spread cream cheese inside the pitta bread and top it with smoked salmon and sliced cucumber. Add some dill for extra flavour.
These filling ideas are sure to impress your picnic guests and provide a tasty and satisfying meal.
Celebrate National Picnic Week with Mamoosh Bakery
National Picnic Week is the perfect opportunity to gather with friends and family over a delicious, wholesome meal. By incorporating Mamoosh Bakery's natural pitta breads and a variety of dips, you can create a memorable and enjoyable dining experience. So, head outdoors this summer, and celebrate National Picnic Week with Mamoosh Bakery's pitta breads and dips.